Getting ready for Christmas in the Colonies 2013

borderflyCH-1024x319

For the last Christmas in the Colonies of the year, all the guests are required to dress up. For those that do not have their own costumes, they can rent them from us. This year I had 20 people rent costumes, including 5 children. We never know exactly how many are going to rent until the day of (I try to cut it off, but we can’t help but accommodate if we can). We always seem short of something, so we stocked up on basics. We made 20 cravats (you can never have to many!). They took forever! I don’t know why, they are just 6’x5″ or so, but it seemed like they took days and days to hem up. We also made 12 white aprons, 5 plain linen, 5 linen with a simple cross bar type embroidery and 2 cotton with embroidered sprigs. We have had another 15 just laying around, waiting to have waistbands attached, so we finished those up too. Those are a mix of cotton and linen checks and stripes. We were also short 5 pairs of pockets, and those were finished the day of the dinner, but hey! They got done! 

IMG_3095IMG_3106

IMG_3152

Abi made 2 pairs of jumps, and one of the little boys waistcoats. We had two 6 year old boys, and we had one set of small clothes that were….ok. The waistcoat had seen better days, and the breeches are so stiff they can stand up on their own (I’m not kidding either, they really can!). I didn’t remember my own 6 year olds small clothes until we had already started the new ones, but you can never have to many! I took the old waistcoat and just kind of drafted a new pattern from it. There might be a few changes if I make another one, but it came out pretty well.

IMG_3109 IMG_3108

Here is my little guy, Luke, trying on the waistcoat for me. It always helps to know I’m going in the right direction size and fit wise.

IMG_3120 IMG_3121

It still needs buttons here, but I was just making sure it was a go. The one below is the one Abi made.

IMG_3148IMG_3149

And the little breeches! I had to make a pattern for them too, I didn’t have any the right size, and no drop fronts. So…I pulled out a pair of men’s breeches and made a little pattern. It needs a little work in the crotch area, but not too bad.

IMG_3124 IMG_3125                                                 IMG_3127

Here is the barn while I was getting all the costumes ready…

IMG_3131 IMG_3133 IMG_3134 IMG_3135 IMG_3136 IMG_3132

And here is what the cider cellar looked like, when it was ready for the guests to get dressed. I only have the one picture, my camera died before I could get the rest…but I got a new one for Christmas (yay!!!), so hopefully the quality of my pictures will improve.

IMG_3157

Advertisements