Goldwork 2

My project seemed incomplete, so I added some more!

Advertisements

Goldwork

I took a class at Costume College on Goldwork Embroidery, taught by the lovely Lady Detalle. Fortunately I went straight to vacation after CoCo, so I am actually finishing the piece we started in class! I’m loving this technique, and very excited to start a project for myself that involves this embroidery. What to make….what to make….😁

Labyrinth 2017

So my best friend convinced me to go with her to Labyrinth this year, and it turned out to be really fun! I don’t have a ton of good pictures of other people, but we got some good ones of us. They had all kinds of shows to go watch, including goblins and acrobats. It was kind of overwhelming, and there wasn’t a schedule to tell us when the different shows were, but maybe that’s part of the fun of Labyrinth!

Getting ready, night one!

This knight on his dragon was pretty cool. Gretchen had to have a picture with it!

Brunch the next morning was ahmazing!

Night two!

The delicious tea party! All you can drink of a bunch of different brews. So tasty!


One of the shows had a giant bird that was worn and performed like a Chinese lion dance. Pretty neat!

Silver and gold!










And that’s all folks!

Behind the Scenes…

Several months ago, one of the ladies I work with (Hi Zan! *waves*) approached me about doing a photo shoot with some of the work I’ve done for Riley’s Farm. Her husband is a professional photographer, and he was looking to expand his portfolio. I’ve never had professional photos of my work, so of course I was in!! Here are some behind the scenes shots by me, with the pro shots coming soon! 

Hair and makeup by Peggy Johnson 

Costumes by me, for Riley’s Farm (mostly, the yellow jumps are by Blossom Bingaman)

Project management by Alexandra Trefrey

Photography to come by Chris Trefrey

The photos in the post are by me, you can’t blame those on Chris!!

 Fair Wrap Up

On the last day of fair (no Masquerade, so much easier to prep for!!!) I told my kids they could come with me if they dressed up. After some initial whining they agreed (even though my son thought he should be allowed to dress like a cowboy!). 

As you can see, the day started out with Mulberries! They were amazing! I left my kids with a friend at another tent and went to help finish setting up ours, and when I found them again my daughter was in a tree, and looked like she murdered someone! Luke was off doing archery and exploring the fair with Sebastian.

LIzzy enjoyed making a sweet bag, after she smelled every single thing (of course!).

When I caught up with Luke again they wanted to make candles. 

They came out a little lumpy!!

Lizzy did archery and threw Tomahawks and had a wonderful time! Luke did also, but I didn’t get any pictures of him.

They both had an absolute ball in the kitchen, and spent quite a bit of time there. Luke ended up staying in there for a couple of hours!

After another trip to the mulberry tree, I went to check on Luke. 

He was now helping the guests! Explaining things and showing them how to do it. Having worked tour for 9 years, I was so proud!! It was so fun to see him engage and share and watch his mind expand.

My little outdoor girl ended up at the pond and caught two little frogs (they were safely returned to the wild after a lot of convincing!!).

Where did Lizzy end up? In the pond of course!

She wasn’t happy when I made her get out of the pond…

But she was when I reminder her she got to go in to start with!

End of the day wrap up pics!

It was a wonderful day, and so nice to see them engaging and having fun without technology! They also agreed to do it again if I make them their own clothes (a in my book!). 

And the mulberry covered dress actually came clean (in case you were wondering!)!

Masquerade Prep part 2

So….we got the gown made! 

And considering how quickly we had to get it done, I’m very pleased! I think our guest was too! 

I definitely need to adjust the shoulders and the sleeves, but it was workable and comfortable for the evening and everyone was able to enjoy themselves!

Gown prep for Masquerade

I was reviewing my size sheets for this week, and realized I hadn’t noticed a particular size. A size we don’t currently have in stock. A size which I have never made before. So….here is a new challenge! 

The first thing I did was email her for more measurements, because we were doing a custom gown and set of jumps for her. She was very quick to respond (yay!), so I was able to make the pattern yesterday.

I started by padding out one of my dress forms to suit her measurments as closely as possible. 

Using hip pads and rumps didn’t work so well though….just super lumpy….I don’t have any batting in the shop right now (now on the list!!!), so I used some foam and some quilted lengths of fabric that had batting in them. 

This worked much better! I tied the twill tape where her measurments indicated the waist line was. 

I loosely used Larkin and Smith’s pattern shapes for this gown, we wanted to use a stomacher for more flexibility. Their pattern didn’t go up to this size, so I fudged ( a lot!).  This is the first try.

And here is the second and final draft of this pattern. I really hope I set the sleeve right! We’ll see tomorrow night, when it gets worn!